This Policy was last updated March 2022
East By East Company Limited, trading as East By West Ferries (East By West) complies with the New Zealand Privacy Act 1993 (the Act) when dealing with personal information. Personal information is information about an identifiable individual (a natural person).
This policy sets out how East By West will collect, use, disclose and protect your personal information. This policy does not limit or exclude any of your rights under the Act. If you wish to seek further information on the Act, see www.privacy.org.nz. East By West and its affiliates are committed to the protection of your personal information.
Changes to this policy
East By West may change this policy by uploading a revised policy onto the East By West website. The change will apply from the date that East By West upload the revised policy.
Who do East By West collect your personal information from?
East By West collect personal information about you from:
- you, when you provide that personal information to us, including via the East By West website and any related service, through any registration, subscription, competitions, promotions or ticketing process, through any contact with us (e.g. telephone call or email or interaction with onboard crew), or when you buy or use our services and products
- third parties where you have authorised this or the information is publicly available.
- If possible, East By West will collect personal information from you directly.
How East By West use your personal information?
East By West will use your personal information:
- to verify your identity
- to provide services and products to you
- to market our services and products to you, including contacting you electronically (e.g. by text or email for this purpose)
- to improve the services and products that East By West provide to you
- to undertake credit checks of you (if necessary)
- to bill you and to collect money that you owe East By West, including authorising and processing credit card transactions
- to respond to communications from you, including a complaint
- to conduct research and statistical analysis (on an anonymised basis)
- to protect and/or enforce our legal rights and interests, including defending any claim
- for any other purpose authorised by you or the Act
Disclosing your personal information
East By West may disclose your personal information to:
- another company within our group or a subsidiary of thereof
- any business that supports our services and products, including any person that hosts or maintains any underlying IT system or data centre that East By West use to provide the East By West website or other services and products
- a credit reference agency for the purpose of credit checking you
- other third parties (for anonymised statistical information)
- a person who can require us to supply your personal information (e.g. a regulatory authority)
- any other person authorised by the Act or another law (e.g. a law enforcement agency)
- any other person authorised by you.
Protecting your personal information
East By West will take reasonable steps to keep your personal information safe from loss, unauthorised activity, or other misuse.
Accessing and correcting your personal information
Subject to certain grounds for refusal set out in the Act, you have the right to access your readily retrievable personal information that East By West hold and to request a correction to your personal information. Before you exercise this right, East By West will need evidence to confirm that you are the individual to whom the personal information relates.
In respect of a request for correction, if East By West think the correction is reasonable and East By West are reasonably able to change the personal information, East By West will make the correction. If East By West do not make the correction, East By West will take reasonable steps to note on the personal information that you requested the correction.
If you want to exercise either of the above rights, email us at email@example.com. Your email should provide evidence of who you are and set out the details of your request (e.g. the personal information, or the correction, that you are requesting).
East By West may charge you our reasonable costs of providing to you copies of your personal information or correcting that information.
While East By West take reasonable steps to maintain secure internet connections, if you provide us with personal information over the internet, the provision of that information is at your own risk.
If you post your personal information on the East By West website, Facebook or Instagram pages, you acknowledge and agree that the information you post is publicly available.
If you are using one of our mobile text applications, and you accept that East By West can send you "Push Notifications", then you are agreeing to accept notifications from us even when the mobile application is not running. Your "Push Notification" preferences can be configured in the application's settings.
East By West CCTV privacy notice
East By West is committed to using our CCTV systems in a way that does not breach any individual’s privacy rights and recognises our obligations as an agency to observe the privacy principles under the Privacy Act 1993.
East By West vessels are equipped with cameras to enhance the safety of our crew and vessels, and to assist with footage in the event of any incident or accident related to the transport services provided by East By West. Our cameras are only located in public areas.
Footage collected may be viewable by the crew onboard to assist with any immediate information requirement in the event of an incident (e.g. person overboard). Footage may also be viewable by East By West management in the investigation of any incident on board, where the footage may be saved for any further investigation by our regulator; Maritime NZ.
CCTV footage is automatically overwritten after six weeks unless the CCTV footage is manually saved, in which case it will be destroyed after it is no longer required for the purposes of collection.
The CCTV system described in this notice shall be maintained within a secure, password protected, private network which can only be accessed by authorised persons. No part of the CCTV system shall be connected to the public internet.