East by West regularly carry school groups of different sizes throughout the year, see the options below.
We offer a school rate of $13 per person return including any teachers and adults to Matiu / Somes Island and $12pp return between Queens Wharf and Days Bay. Contact us to make a school group booking.
- Queens Wharf Bus Park − western side of TSB Bank Arena
- $10 per hour, $30 for 12 hours, $40 for 24 hours
- WCC Parking information
The Matiu Somes Island Excursion
Explore this fascinating island steeped in local history from early Maori settlement to its more recent status as a DOC reserve. The views from all over the easy walking tracks are unsurpassed. Native bird life abounds and you may even see a residential Tuatara!
- Public ferry departs Queens Wharf 10.00am & 12.00pm
- Returns from Matiu 1pm & 3.30pm
- Guided tours can be organized through the DOC Visitor centre (fee applies).
- School party concession price: All passengers $13.00 (adults included)
- Chartered sailings may be required (at different times) for groups over 40 people. Contact us for more information and to book.
The Harbour Discovery Cruise
An adventurous and fun way to explore Wellington Harbour is on-board one of our ferries. A live on-board commentary especially tailored to the children’s age group reveals the harbours rich and exciting heritage.
- One-and-a-half-hour cruise can start any time between 10.30 am and 1.30pm (weekdays only)
- School party concession price: All passengers $14.00 (adults included)
- Minimum numbers required, contact us for more information and to book.
The New Ship & Chip Trip
Combine a visit to Wellington Museum with a trip to Matiu/Somes Island, a tour around the Island with an Eastbourne Ranger (EFR) and enjoy your picnic lunch on the waterfront.
Treasure Island trips include a programme at Wellington Museum, where students learn about the rich social history of Matiu/Somes Island, from pā site, to quarantine station, to internment camp, to wildlife sanctuary. Then it’s all aboard the ferry to travel to the island where you will meet an EFR guide for an educational experience.
The Museums Learning Team will do all the arranging for you and provide you with varying options to suit class sizes.
For more information, please contact the Museum Learning Team: firstname.lastname@example.org